Connecting Hive to BI tools using a JDBC/ODBC driver
To query, analyze, and visualize data stored within the CDP Private Cloud Base using drivers provided by Cloudera, you connect Apache Hive to Business Intelligence (BI) tools.
- Choose a Hive authorization model.
- Configure authenticated users for querying Hive through JDBC or ODBC driver. For example, set up a Ranger policy.
Obtain the Hive database driver in one of the following ways:
- For an ODBC connection: Get the ODBC driver from the Cloudera Downloads page.
- For a JDBC connection in CDP Private Cloud Base: Download and extract the
JDBC driver from
- For a JDBC connection in CDP Public Cloud: Using the CDW service,
in a Virtual Warehouse in the CDW service, select Hive, and from the more options
menu, click Download JDBC JAR.
Using the Data Hub service, download and extract the JDBC driver from
Depending on the type of driver you obtain, proceed as follows:
- ODBC driver: follow instructions on the ODBC driver download site, and skip the rest of the steps in this procedure.
- JDBC driver: add the driver to the classpath of your JDBC client, such as Tableau. For example, check the client documentation about where to put the driver.
Find the JDBC URL for HiveServer using one of a number methods. For example:
- Using the CDW service in a Virtual Warehouse, from the options menu of your
Virtual Warehouse, click
Copy JDBC URL.
- In Cloudera Manager (CM), click
hive_on_tez-clientconfig.zip, open beeline-site.xml, and copy the value of
beeline.hs2.jdbc.url.hive_on_tez. This value is the JDBC URL. For example
click Actions, and select Download Client Configuration. Unpack
- Using the CDW service in a Virtual Warehouse, from the options menu of your Virtual Warehouse, click
In the BI tool, such as Tableau, configure the JDBC connection using the JDBC URL
and driver class name,