(Optional) Installing UCX native libraries
The NVIDIA RAPIDS Shuffle Manager is a custom ShuffleManager for Apache Spark that allows fast shuffle block transfers between GPUs in the same host (over PCIe or NVLink) and over the network to remote hosts (over RoCE or Infiniband). The RAPIDS Shuffle Manager is based on Unified Communication X (UCX).
NVIDIA RAPIDS Shuffle Manager has been shown to accelerate workloads where shuffle is the bottleneck when using the RAPIDS accelerator for Apache Spark. It accomplishes this by using a GPU shuffle cache for fast shuffle writes when shuffle blocks fit in GPU memory, avoiding the cost of writes to host using the built-in Spark Shuffle, a spill framework that will spill to host memory and disk on demand, and UCX as its transport for fast network and peer-to-peer (GPU-to-GPU) transfers.
Cloudera and NVIDIA recommend using the RAPIDS shuffle manager for clusters with Infiniband or RoCE networking.
- Download UCX v1.10.1 for your operating system.
- Install the downloaded packages using your operating system
package manager.For CentOS, if you do not have Infiniband or RoCE networking, you only need to install the following packages:
If you have Infiniband or RoCE networking, install the following packages:
ucx-1.10.1-1.el7.x86_64.rpm ucx-cuda-1.10.1-1.el7.x86_64.rpm ucx-rdmacm-1.10.1-1.el7.x86_64.rpm ucx-ib-1.10.1-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Configure Mellanox Infiniband or RoCE networking. For more information, see
spark-rapids documentation and
- UCX is agnostic to switch model and make.
- UCX is fully tested on Mellanox RDMA hardware, other hardware may not be compatible. UCX supports TCP when RDMA is not possible otherwise, but it is not recommended as the best performance for UCX is with RDMA hardware.
- Validate your UCX environment following the instructions provided in the NVIDIA spark-rapids documentation.
Before running applications with the RAPIDS Shuffle Manager, make the following
Disable the External Shuffle Service:
Disable Dynamic Allocation:
Enable the RAPIDS Shuffle Manager:
Specify the “extraClassPath” Executor:
At a minimum, make the following UCX settings:
Recommended additional UCX settings:
For more information on environment variables, see the NVIDIA spark-rapids documentation.
spark.executorEnv.UCX_TLS=cuda_copy,cuda_ipc,rc,tcp spark.executorEnv.UCX_RNDV_SCHEME=put_zcopy spark.executorEnv.UCX_MAX_RNDV_RAILS=1 spark.executorEnv.UCX_IB_RX_QUEUE_LEN=1024
- Disable the External Shuffle Service: