Speeding up queries using materialized views
A materialized view is a Hive-managed database object that holds a query result you can use to speed up the execution of a query workload. If your queries are repetitive, you can reduce latency and resource consumption by using materialized views. You create materialized views to optimize your queries automatically.
Using a materialized view, the optimizer can compare old and new tables, rewrite queries to accelerate processing, and manage maintenance of the materialized view when data updates occur. The optimizer can use a materialized view to fully or partially rewrite projections, filters, joins, and aggregations.
You can perform the following materialized view operations:
- Create a materialized view of queries or subqueries
- Drop a materialized view
- Show materialized views
- Describe a materialized view
- Enable or disable query rewriting based on a materialized view
- Globally enable or disable rewriting based on any materialized view
- Use partitioning to improve the performance of materialized views