Setting up ODBC connection from a BI tool
Describes how to connect to Impala Virtual Warehouses using ODBC with your BI tool, with Tableau as an example.
Before you can use Tableau with Impala Virtual Warehouses, you must have created a Database Catalog that is populated with data. You have the option to populate your Database Catalog with sample data when you create it. You must also create an Impala Virtual Warehouse, which is configured to connect to the Database Catalog that is populated with data.
- Download the latest version of the Impala ODBC driver from Cloudera Downloads page or alternatively, on the Virtual Warehouses page, click the options menu for the warehouse you want to connect to your BI tool, and select Download JDBC/ODBC Driver and install it.
- Install the driver on the local host where you intend to use Tableau Desktop.
- Log in to the CDP web interface and navigate to the Data Warehouse service.
- In the Data Warehouse service, click Virtual Warehouse in the left navigation panel.
On the Virtual Warehouses page, click the more options menu for the Impala
warehouse you want to connect to with Tableau, and select Copy JDBC
This copies the JDBC URL to your system clipboard.
Paste the copied JDBC URL into a text file. It should look similar to the
From the text file where you just pasted the URL, copy the host name from the
JDBC URL to your system clipboard. For example, in the URL shown in Step 6, the
host name is:
Start Tableau and navigate to
This launches the Cloudera Hadoop dialog box.
In the Tableau Cloudera Hadoop dialog box, paste the host name you copied to your
clipboard in Step 7 into the Server field:
Then in the Tableau Cloudera Hadoop dialog box, set the following
- Port: 443
- Type: HiveServer2
- Authentication: Username and Password
- Transport: HTTP
- Username: Username to connect to the CDP Data Warehouse service.
- Password: Password to connect to the CDP Data Warehouse service.
- HTTP Path: cliservice
- Require SSL: Make sure this is selected.
- Click Sign In.