Hive unsupported interfaces and features
You need to know the interfaces available in HDP or CDH platforms that are not supported.
The following interfaces are not supported in CDP Private Cloud Base:
- Hcat CLI (however HCatalog is supported)
- Hive CLI (replaced by Beeline)
- Hive View UI feature in Ambari
- MapReduce execution engine (replaced by Tez)
- S3 for storing tables (available in CDP Public Cloud only)
- Spark execution engine (replaced by Tez)
- Spark thrift server
Spark and Hive tables interoperate using the Hive Warehouse Connector.
- SQL Standard Authorization
- Storage Based Authorization
- Tez View UI feature in Ambari
You can use Hue in lieu of Hive View.
Storage Based Authorization
Storage Based Authorization (SBA) is no longer supported in CDP. Ranger integration with Hive metastore provides consistency in Ranger authorization enabled in HiveServer (HS2). SBA did not provide authorization support for metadata that does not have a file/directory associated with it. Ranger-based authorization has no such limitation.
Partially unsupported interfaces
Apache Hadoop Distributed Copy (DistCP) is not supported for copying Hive ACID tables.
CDP does not support the following features that were available in HDP and CDH platforms:
- Replicate Hive ACID tables between CDP Private Cloud Base clusters using REPL
You cannot use REPL commands (REPL DUMP and REPL LOAD) to replicate Hive ACID tables between CDP Private Cloud Base clusters that are on a version lower than CDP Private Cloud Base 7.1.8. To use REPL commands, ensure that the source cluster is on CDP Private Cloud Base 7.1.8 or a higher version.
- CREATE TABLE that specifies a managed table location
Do not use the LOCATION clause to create a managed table. Hive assigns a default location in the warehouse to managed tables. That default location is configured in Hive using the hive.metastore.warehouse.dir configuration property, but can be overridden for the database by setting the CREATE DATABASE MANAGEDLOCATION parameter.
- CREATE INDEX and related index commands were removed in Hive 3, and consequently are not
supported in CDP.
In CDP, you use the Hive 3 default ORC columnar file formats to achieve the performance benefits of indexing. Materialized Views with automatic query rewriting also improves performance. Indexes migrated to CDP are preserved but render any Hive tables with an undroppable index. To drop the index, google the Known Issue for CDPD-23041.
- Hive metastore (HMS) high availablility (HA) load balancing in CDH
You need to set up HMS HA as described in the documentation.
- Local or Embedded Hive metastore server
CDP does not support the use of a local or embedded Hive metastore setup.
Unsupported Connector Use
CDP does not support the Sqoop exports using the Hadoop
jar command (the
Java API) that Teradata documents. For more information, see Migrating data using Sqoop.