Installing Hive on Tez and adding a HiveServer role
Cloudera Runtime (CR) services include Hive on Tez and Hive Metastore (HMS). Hive on Tez is a SQL query engine using Apache Tez that performs the HiveServer (HS2) role in a Cloudera cluster. You need to install Hive on Tez and HMS in the correct order; otherwise, HiveServer fails. You need to install additional HiveServer roles to Hive on Tez, not the Hive service; otherwise, HiveServer fails.
Install the Hive service, designated Hive on Tez in CDP.
HiveServer is installed automatically during this process.
- Install HMS, which is designated Hive.
- Accept the default, or change the Hive warehouse location for managed and external tables as described below.
Adding a HiveServer role
In Cloudera Manager, click
.Do not clickby mistake. This selects the Hive metastore and ultimately results in failure.
- Click .
- Click in the HiveServer2 box to select hosts.
In the Host name column, select a host for the HiveServer2 role, and click
The selected host name you assigned the HiveServer2 role appears under HiveServer2.
The new HiveServer2 role state is stopped.
- Select the new HiveServer2 role.
In Actions for Selected, select Start, and then click Start to
You see that the service successfully started.
Changing the Hive warehouse location
- Set up directories for the Hive warehouse directory and Hive warehouse external directory from Cloudera Manager Actions.
- In Cloudera Manager, click , and change the hive.metastore.warehouse.dir property value to the path you specified for the new Hive warehouse directory.
- Change the hive.metastore.warehouse.external.dir property value to the path you specified for the Hive warehouse external directory.
- Configure Ranger policies or set up ACL permissions to access the directories.