Use the fs2cs conversion utility
You can use the fs2cs conversion utility to automatically convert certain Fair Scheduler configuration to Capacity Scheduler configuration as part of the Upgrade Cluster Wizard in Cloudera Manager.
From the CDP Private Cloud Base 7.1 release, Cloudera provides a
conversion tool, called fs2cs conversion utility. This utility is a CLI
application that is part of the yarn CLI command. It generates
yarn-site.xml as output files.
- Be aware of the Fair Scheduler properties that are auto-converted, those that require manual configuration, and those that do not have an equivalent feature in Capacity Scheduler.
- You must have downloaded and distributed parcels for the target version of CDP.
- In VPC, to use your current Compute Cluster queue configurations in your new installation
after the upgrade, you must have manually saved them before starting the update process
and then added the configurations to your new installation. Else, your Compute Cluster
queue configurations will be lost because the Upgrade Wizard transitions only the queues
from your Base Cluster.
- In Cloudera Manager, navigate to .
- Find the host with the ResourceManager role and click the YARN ResourceManager role.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Find and save the
yarn-site.xmlconfiguration files for future reference.
- Ensure that the configuration is not stale, there is no unsaved changes. Ensure that there is no unsaved changes on the Dynamic Resource Pools view, meaning that the Refresh Dynamic Resource Pools button is inactive.
- Reach the Copy Scheduler Settings part of the upgrade process using the Upgrade Cluster Wizard in Cloudera Manager. That is the first step when you add YARN Queue Manager service:
Download the Fair Scheduler configuration files from the Cloudera Manager data
In the Copy Scheduler Settings window during the upgrade process, click
Download fair-scheduler.xml and Download
yarn-site.xml to download the
- Copy the downloaded configuration files to any host in your cluster.
- In the Copy Scheduler Settings window during the upgrade process, click Download fair-scheduler.xml and Download yarn-site.xml to download the
Use the fs2cs conversion utility:
Log in to the host machine where you downloaded the
yarn-site.xmlfiles using ssh.
Create a new directory to save the
capacity-scheduler.xmlfile that is generated by the fs2cs conversion utility:
$ mkdir -p output
Use the fs2cs conversion utility to auto-convert the structure of
resource pools. Options listed between braces
$ yarn fs2cs [--cluster-resource <vcores/memory>][--no-terminal-rule-check] --yarnsiteconfig </path/to/yarn-site.xml> [--fsconfig </path/to/fair-scheduler.xml>] --output-directory </output/path/> [--print] [--skip-verification]
- Log in to the host machine where you downloaded the
Upload the generated Capacity Scheduler configuration files to save the configuration
in Cloudera Manager:
Click Choose File and select the generated
capacity-scheduler.xmlfile to save the configuration.
After the upgrade is completed,
manually add the
yarn-site.xml configurations using Cloudera Manager
Advanced configuration snippet (Safety Valves), and tune the configuration generated by the
fs2cs conversion utility using Queue Manager UI and Cloudera Manager
Advanced configuration snippet (Safety Valves).