Upgrading CDH 5 to CDP Private Cloud Base
High-level upgrade procedures for upgrades from CDH 5 to CDP Private Cloud Base.
Upgrading CDP Private Cloud Base consists of two major steps, upgrading Cloudera Manager and upgrading the cluster. You are not required to upgrade Cloudera Manager and the cluster at the same time, but the versions of Cloudera Manager and the cluster must be compatible. The major+minor version of Cloudera Manager must be equal to or higher than the major+minor version of CDH or Cloudera Runtime.
- Prepare to upgrade:
- Review the Supported Upgrade Paths for your upgrade.
- Review the Requirements and Supported Versions for your upgrade
- Review the Release Notes for the version of CDP Private Cloud Base you are upgrading to.
- Gather information on your deployment. See Step 1: Getting Started Upgrading Cloudera Manager and Step 1: Getting Started Upgrading a Cluster.
- Plan how and when to begin your upgrade.
- If necessary, Upgrade the JDK.
- If necessary, Upgrade the Operating System.
- Perform any needed pre-upgrade transition steps for the components deployed in your clusters. See CDP Private Cloud Base Pre-upgrade transition steps
- Upgrade Cloudera Manager to version 7.1.1 or higher. After upgrading to Cloudera Manager 7.1.1 or higher, Cloudera Manager can manage upgrading your cluster to a higher version. See Upgrading Cloudera Manager.
- Use Cloudera Manager to Upgrade CDH to Cloudera Runtime 7, or from Cloudera Runtime to a higher version of Cloudera Runtime. See Upgrading a Cluster.
- Perform any needed post-upgrade transition steps for the components deployed in your clusters. See CDH 5 to CDP Private Cloud Base post-upgrade transition steps.
Component Changes in CDP Private Cloud Base 7.1
YARN Fair Scheduler is being removed.
The YARN Fair Scheduler is being replaced with the YARN Capacity Scheduler. A transition tool will be provided to convert the Fair Scheduler configurations to Capacity Scheduler.
Hive-on-Spark and Hive-on-MapReduce have been removed. Similar functionality is available with Hive-on-Tez.
Component Changes in CDP Private Cloud Base 7.0
Pig, Flume, Sentry, and Navigator have been removed.
Pig can be replaced with Hive or Spark.
Flume has been replaced with Cloudera Flow Management (CFM). CFM is a no-code data ingestion and management solution powered by Apache NiFi. Contact your Cloudera account team for more information about moving from Flume to CFM.
Sentry has been replaced with Ranger. A Sentry-to-Ranger policy transition tool is available for CDP Private Cloud Base 7.1 and transitions will be supported when Replication Manager is used to transition Hive tables from CDH to CDP.
Navigator has been replaced with Atlas. Navigator lineage data is transferred to Atlas as part of the CDH to CDP Private Cloud Base upgrade process. Navigator audit data is not transferred to Atlas.