Quick start: Upgrading CDH to a higher version of CDH
High-level upgrade procedures for upgrades from CDH to higher versions of CDH.
- CDH 5.13 - 5.16 clusters to Cloudera Runtime 7 in CDP Private Cloud Base
- Cloudera Manager 5.13 - 5.16 to Cloudera Manager 7 in CDP Private Cloud Base
- Use Cloudera Manager Replication Manager to copy your data from a CDH 5 or CDH 6 cluster to a Cloudera Runtime 7.1 cluster. See Using Replication Manager to migrate to CDP Private Cloud Base from CDH.
An upgrade from CDH to CDP Private Cloud Base has the following high-level workflow:
- Review the Upgrade Guide topic on supported upgrade paths.
- Gather information on your deployment. See Getting Started Upgrading Cloudera Manager and Getting Started Upgrading a Cluster.
- Plan how and when to begin your upgrade.
- Upgrade Cloudera Manager to a major/minor version that is higher than the version of CDH you are upgrading to. After upgrading to Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Manager will manage upgrading your cluster to a higher version. See Upgrading Cloudera Manager.
- If you are upgrading to CDH 6 from CDH 5, perform any needed pre-upgrade transition steps for the components deployed in your clusters. See Pre-Upgrade Transition Steps for Upgrades to CDH 6.
- Use Cloudera Manager to Upgrade CDH to Cloudera Runtime 7, or from Cloudera Runtime to a higher version of Cloudera Runtime. See Upgrading a cluster.
- If you are upgrading to CDH 6 from CDH 5, perform any needed post-upgrade steps for the components deployed in your clusters. See Post-Upgrade Transition Steps for Upgrades to CDH 6 .