Installing Hive on Tez and adding a HiveServer role
Cloudera Runtime (CR) services include Hive on Tez and Hive Metastore (HMS). Hive on Tez is a SQL query engine using Apache Tez that performs the HiveServer (HS2) role in a Cloudera cluster. You need to install Hive on Tez and HMS in the correct order; otherwise, HiveServer fails. You need to install additional HiveServer roles to Hive on Tez, not the Hive service; otherwise, HiveServer fails.
Install the Hive service, designated Hive on Tez in CDP.
HiveServer is installed automatically during this process.
- Install HMS, which is designated Hive.
- Accept the default, or change the Hive warehouse location for managed and external tables as described below.
Adding a HiveServer role
In Cloudera Manager, click
.Do not clickby mistake. This selects the Hive metastore and ultimately results in failure.
- Click .
Click in the HiveServer2 box to select hosts.
In the Host name column, select a host for the HiveServer2 role, and click
The selected host name you assigned the HiveServer2 role appears under HiveServer2.
The new HiveServer2 role state is stopped.
Select the new HiveServer2 role.
In Actions for Selected, select Start, and then click Start to
You see that the service successfully started.
Changing the Hive warehouse location
- Set up directories for the Hive warehouse directory and Hive warehouse external directory from Cloudera Manager Actions.
- In Cloudera Manager, click , and change the hive.metastore.warehouse.dir property value to the path you specified for the new Hive warehouse directory.
- Change the hive.metastore.warehouse.external.dir property value to the path you specified for the Hive warehouse external directory.
- Configure Ranger policies or set up ACL permissions to access the directories.