Before you upgrade
Before you upgrade Apache NiFi, it is helpful to identify your upgrade path, review changes to the NiFi version to which you are upgrading, and prepare for any changes needed to your environment before or immediately after upgrade.
Interoperability and support information
If you are upgrading NiFi on a Linux operating system, refer to the CFM Support Matrix for interoperability and support information for your version of CFM.
Review migration guidance
Identify the version of Apache NiFi you are running, and the version of Apache NiFi to which you want to upgrade. Review the Apache NiFi Migration Guidance to be aware of changes made between versions and the impact they may have on your existing dataflows.
Clear queues and shut down NiFi
Before you begin your NiFi upgrade, stop all the source processors to prevent the ingestion of new data, allow your NiFi flowfile processing queues to empty completely, and then stop NiFi.
Preserving your custom processors
If you have written custom processors, you can preserve them during the upgrade if you store them in a central location.
- Create a second library directory, called custom_lib.
- Move your custom processors to this new lib directory.
- Add a new line to the nifi.properties file to specify this new
Preserving your custom NAR files
If you have customized any of the default NiFi Archive (NAR) files, upgrading NiFi overwrites these changes. You can preserve the customization.
- Identify and save the changes you made to the default NAR files.
- Perform your NiFi upgrade.
- Implement the same NAR file changes in your new NiFi instance.
- Start your dataflow.