Moving Monitoring Data on an Active Cluster
You can change where monitoring data is stored on a cluster.
Basic: Changing the Configured Directory
- Stop the Service Monitor or Host Monitor.
- Save your old monitoring data and then copy the current directory to the new directory (optional).
- Update the Storage Directory configuration option
firehose.storage.base.directory) on the corresponding role configuration page.
- Start the Service Monitor or Host Monitor.
Advanced: High Performance
For the best performance, and especially for a large cluster, Host Monitor and Service Monitor storage directories should have their own dedicated spindles. In most cases, that provides sufficient performance, but you can divide your data further if needed. You cannot configure this directly with Cloudera Manager; instead, you must use symbolic links.
For example, if all your Service Monitor data is located in
/data/1/service_monitor, and you want to separate your Impala data from
your time series data, you could do the following:
- Stop the Service Monitor.
- Move the original Impala data in
/data/1/service_monitor/impalato the new directory, for example
- Create a symbolic link from
/data/2/impala_datawith the following command:
ln -s /data/2/impala_data /data/1/service_monitor/impala
- Start the Service Monitor.