Using CDE with an external Apache Airflow deployment
The Cloudera provider for Apache Airflow, available at the Cloudera GitHub repository, provides two Airflow operators for running Cloudera Data Engineering (CDE) and Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) jobs. You can install the provider on your existing Apache Airflow deployment to integrate.
- The Cloudera provider for Apache Airflow is for use with existing Airflow deployments. If you want to use the embedded Airflow service provided by CDE, see Automating data pipelines with CDE and CDW using Apache Airflow.
- The provider requires Python 3.6 or higher.
- The provider requires the Python
cryptographypackage version 3.3.2 or higher to address CVE-2020-36242. If an older version is installed, the plugin automatically updates the cryptography library.
This component provides two Airflow operators to be integrated in your DAGs:
- CDEJobRunOperator, for running Cloudera Data Engineering jobs.
- CDWOperator, for accessing Cloudera Data Warehouse
Install Cloudera Airflow provider on your Airflow servers
- Run the following pip command on each Airflow server: pip install cloudera-airflow-provider
Create a connection using the Airflow UI
Before you can run a CDE job from your Airflow deployment, you must configure a connection using the Airflow UI.
- From the CDE home page, go to of the Virtual Cluster (VC) where you want the CDE job to run.
- Click to copy the URL.
- Go to your Airflow web console (where you installed the Cloudera provider).
- Go to .
- Click + Add a new record.
Fill in connection details:
- Conn Id
- Create a unique connection identifier.
- Conn Type
- The type of the connection. From the drop-down, select
- HTTP (if you are using Apache Airflow version 1)
- HTTP or Cloudera Data engineering (if you are using Apache Airflow version 2)
- Host/Virtual API Endpoint
- URL of the host where you want the job to run. Paste here the JOBS API URL you copied in a previous step.
- Login/CDP Access Key
Provide the CDP access key of the account for running jobs on the CDE VC.
- Password/CDP Private Key
Provide the CDP private key of the account for running jobs on the CDE VC.
- Click Save.
- In the CDE Overview page, go to the CDE virtual cluster and click .
Fill in the Job Details:
- Select the option matching your use case.
- Specify a name for the job.
- DAG File
- Provide a DAG file.Use the CDEJobRunOperator to specify a CDE job to run. The job definition in the DAG file must contain:
- The Conn Id you specified on the Airflow UI when creating the connection.
- The ID that identifies the job within the DAG.
- The variable containing the dag object
- The name of the CDE job to run. This job must exist in the CDE virtual cluster you are connecting to.
from cloudera.cdp.airflow.operators.cde_operator import CDEJobRunOperator ... t1 = CDEJobRunOperator( connection_id='cde-vc01-dev', task_id='ingest', dag=example_dag, job_name='etl-ingest-job' )
- Click Create and Run to create the job and run it immediately, or click the dropdown button and select Create to create the job.