Canadian postal code map, bubbles
CDP Data Visualization Map visual provides support for mapping measurements, as bubbles, over a map of Canadian FSA and Postal Codes. Bubble maps display up to two measurements simultaneously: as the color of the bubble, and as the relative size of the bubble.
A map of Canada shows a comparison of population density, at the level of the FSA (1st 3 digits of the Postal Code).
The following steps demonstrate how to create a new map of Canada, with population plotted
as bubbles, by postal code. We are using the dataset Canadian
Census, constructed from the files
canada_census_population_dwellings.csv and ca-postal-codes.csv,
and joined of the fields
respectively. See Canadian census. Also, see Adding data and
Creating a dataset.
- Start a new visual based on the Canadian Census dataset; see Creating a visual.
In the visuals menu, find and click Map (row 5, column 1).
Note that the shelves of the visual changed. They are now Geo,
Color, Size, Drill,
Tooltips, X Trellis, Y
Trellis, and Filters.
The only mandatory shelf for map visuals is Geo.
- Populate the shelves from the Data menu:
Under Dimensions, select
Postal Codefrom the table
ca_postal_codes, and add it to the Geo shelf.
Under Measures, select
Population 2011from table
canada_census_population_dwellings, and add it to the Size shelf.
- Under Dimensions, select
- Specify the use of the Canada Map View in the Settings > Map interface; see Map view.
- Click Refresh Visual.
- Change the display of marks to bubbles; see Displaying bubbles on maps.
- Change the mark size range to 1-10; see Changing the mark size range.
- [Optional] We recommend changing or simply reversing the color palette to suit your needs; see Change color palette of visuals and Reverse color palette of visuals.
- [Optional] Alias the fields as necessary; see Alias.
- [Optional] Enable panning and zooming option, as described in Customizing zoom.
- [Optional] Change the color palette, as described in Change color palette of visuals.
- Click (pencil icon) next to the title of the visualization to edit it, and enter the new name.
- Change the title to
Canadian 2011 Population - Postal Code Bubbles.
At the top left corner of the Visual Designer, click
Your visual should look something like this: