US state map, choropleth
CDP Data Visualization Map visual lets you plot measurements, as areas, over US State regions.
A map of the United States shows a comparison of measurement values among US States.
The following steps demonstrate how to create a new map visual on the dataset
County Population [data source
samples.us_counties]. It produces
colored regions for the measurements that correspond to the
- Start a new visual based on dataset
US County Population[data source
samples.us_counties]; see Creating a visual.
In the visuals menu, find and click Map (row 5, column 1).
Note that the shelves of the visual changed. They are now Geo,
Color, Size, Drill,
Tooltips, X Trellis, Y
Trellis, and Filters.
The only mandatory shelf for map visuals is Geo.
- Populate the shelves from the available fields (Dimensions,
Measures, and so on) in the Data menu.
Under Dimensions, select
stnameand add it to the Geo shelf.
Click on the field to open the Field Properties menu, expand the Change Type option, and select the Geo Type State.
Under Measures, select
tot_popand drag it over the Colors shelf.
Click the field to open the Field Properties menu, select Display Format,Category Integer, and select the thousands separator option. Click Save.
- Under Dimensions, select
- [Optional] Alias the field
Population; see Alias.
- [Optional] Enable panning and zooming option, as described in Customizing zoom.
- [Optional] Change the color palette, as described in Change color palette of visuals.
- Click Refresh Visual.
The map visual appears.
- Click (pencil icon) next to the title of the visualization to edit it, and enter the new name.
- Change the title to
US State Population - Choropleth Map.
At the top left corner of the Visual Designer, click