Automatically renaming dataset fields
Quite often, the column names of the base data tables are not very human-friendly. CDP Data Visualization gives you the option to automatically adjust field names at the level of the dataset.
The following steps demonstrate how to prevent data fields from appearing in visualizations
and applications of dataset World Life Expectancy [data source
samples.world_life_expectancy]. The fields
lng are empty, so they are good candidates for
- On the main navigation bar, click Data.
The Data view appears, open on the Datasets tab.
- In the left navigation menu, click samples.
- In the Datasets area, select World Life
- In the Dataset Detail menu, select
- In the Fields interface, select Edit
- Near the top of the page, click Title Case.
The field titles change. For example, the Measure
GDP Per Capita.
The Title Case option does not affect fields that are calculated over table fields, such as
- Click Save.
- [Optional] Open an existing visual on this dataset, and note the change in the
appearance of the following objects:
- Dimensions and Measures in the Fields menu
- The fields on the shelves
- The axes labels
- The field labels in the Tooltip.
- [In lower image only] The calculated fields remain unchanged by the title case option.