CDP Data Visualization enables you to set up email notifications when a specified triggering condition occurs.
Follow these steps to define triggering conditions and triggered emails for a visual, a sheet, or a dashboard. This can be accomplished either from Edit mode, or from View mode.
- In the Email Visual/Email Current Sheet/Email Dashboard modal, select the option Email based on threshold.
- In the To text box, enter the valid email addresses of the primary recipients of the message.
In the CC text box, enter the valid emails of other
The value of the From field is configured on the Site Settings interface; see Enabling and customizing email settings.
We used the following text in the subject:
[ArcadiaData] <<trigger_name>>: Flight Connections Flow Reports
- Optional: In the Subject text box, you can change the title of the email.
- Under Email Template, leave Default Email Template.
To see how the template looks, click Preview Email
Enter the text of the email in the Message field. Additionally,
you can embed job parameters in the message body.
We used the following text in the message body:
Trigger <<trigger_id>>: <<trigger_name>> surpassed <<trigger_threshold>> on <<triggered_time>>. The new value is <<trigger_data_value>>.
For Attach options, choose one of the following:
- Embedded Image (default)
For visuals that have parameterized fields on their shelves, in the Page
Parameters you can chose one of these:
- Include page parameters (default)
- Do not include page parameters, which includes default picklist parameters.
In the Set Threshold tab, perform the following actions to
create a threshold definition and a new table visual that specifies the trigger
Alternatively, instead of defining a new threshold, use an existing table visual to specify threshold values, and add the ID of the that visual to the Visual ID field.
- Under Job Name, enter the name of the new trigger. We are using Threshold on Georgia Flights.
Click Create Threshold.
This creates a new table visual based on all the fields of the dataset. The table visual is called Trigger: Threshold on Georgia Flights.
CDP Data Visualization opens this visual in a new tab of your browser. Note that the ID for the new visual appears in the URL address (in our case, it is 2148), and has the following form:
Make changes to the visual so that the field that contains the triggering measurements
is the first field on the Measures shelf, and sort/filter results
to ensure that the triggering measurement is in the first row. Save
the new table visual.
Back on the Email Visual/Email Dashboard modal, in the Set Threshold tab, notice that the Visual ID field holds the ID of the new trigger table visual. In our case, it is 2148.
Under Trigger, select one of the options:
- Threshold met: triggers an email when the first measure of the first row in the trigger visual satisfies the conditional expression
- Value changed since last assessment: triggers an email when the change in the first measure after the last assessment satisfies the conditional expression
For the triggering Value, adjust the logical operand (one of
=) and the number.
We used the expression
For Assess Trigger, select an existing schedule interval:
- Hourly (default)
- Every Weekday
- or any existing custom schedule
Users with administrative privileges can also Create New Schedule.
The Send Email Limit gives you the option of sending only the first email in circumstances when a triggering event occurs multiple times within the specified time interval.
In this example, we selected Once a day. This means that if the trigger satisfies the conditional expression, it may not be sent if an earlier one was sent in the preceding 24 hours.
The options are:
- When trigger occurs, which does not suppress any emails
- Once a half hour (default)
- Once an hour
- Once a day
- Once a week
- Every 2 weeks
- Once a month
The system notifies the user that the trigger was created successfully.