Create a data connection
You must connect to your data prior to using CDP Data Visualization for modeling and visualizating your data. You can define connections to various source systems. Learn how to create a simple data connection.
In Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW), the connection to the database catalog is automatically set up when you enable Data Visualization in a Virtual Data Warehouse. You can still create your own connections to other data warehouses, but it is not supported. Database catalogs and virtual data warehouses automatically inherit the same security restrictions that are applicable to your CDP environment. There is no need to specify the security setup again for each database catalog or virtual warehouse. If you cannot see the data in the connected database catalog after you log in, check and adjust data access permissions or environment and data warehouse user permissions.
In Cloudera Machine Learning (CML), you can set up several connection types, for example you can connect Data Visualization to an Impala or Hive data warehouse. For more information on connection types, see Data connections in CDP Data Visualization.
- On the main navigation bar, click Data.
The Data view appears, open on the Datasets tab.
- In the sidebar, click New Connection.The Create New Data Connection modal window appears.
- Select the Connection type from the drop-down list.
- Under Connection name, specify the name of the new connection.
- Under Hostname or IP address, specify the name of your database host, or its IP address. Use localhost when the data source is local.
- Under Port #, enter the port number.
- Under Credentials, complete the following entries:
- Under Username, enter the username for establishing the connection.
- Under Password, enter the password for establishing the connection.
- Click Test.If the connection is valid, the system returns a 'Connection Verified' message.
- Click Connect.
After this operation succeeds, the name of the new connection appears on the side navigation bar.