Adding a new Virtual Warehouse
This topic describes how to create a Virtual Warehouse in Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) Private Cloud service.
In CDW service, a Virtual Warehouse is an instance of compute resources that is equivalent to a cluster. A Virtual Warehouse provides access to the data in tables and views in the data lake that correlates to a specific Database Catalog. Virtual Warehouses can only lookup the Database Catalog that they have been configured to access.
Required role: DWAdmin
Before you create a new Virtual Warehouse, determine what is the number of concurrent queries or users your Virtual Warehouse must serve during peak periods. This information helps you determine what size of Virtual Warehouse you need. Choose the size based on the number of nodes you typically use for clusters in an on-premises deployment. Also consider the complexity of your queries and the size of the data sets that they access. Larger sized warehouses with more nodes can cache more data, which enhances performance.
Virtual Warehouse sizes you can choose from:
|Virtual Warehouse Size||Number of Nodes|
- Log in to the CDP web interface and navigate to the Data Warehouse service.
- In the Data Warehouse service, click Virtual Warehouses in the left navigation panel.
- On the Virtual Warehouses page, click Add New.
- In the New Virtual Warehouse dialog box, specify a Virtual Warehouse name, the Type (Hive or Impala), which Database Catalog it queries, and the size.
- After you choose a size, you can configure auto-scaling settings.
- Click Create to create the new Virtual Warehouse.