Activating OpenShift environments
This topic describes how to activate an environment to use for Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) Private Cloud.
Before you can create a Database Catalog to use with a Virtual Warehouse, you must activate a CDP environment. Activating an environment causes CDP to connect to the Kubernetes cluster, which provides the computing resources for the Database Catalog. In addition, activating an environment enables the Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) service to use the existing data lake that was set up for the environment, including all data, metadata, and security.
- Determine which environment that uses a particular data lake is the environment you want to activate for use with a Database Catalog and Virtual Warehouse.
- For local caching, ensure that an administrator uses the Local Storage Operator to create a local file system on an SSD/NVMe for each OpenShift worker node and then mounts it to a known location on the worker node. Make sure that this local caching location allows temporary data to be stored in a way that supports performance. You need to specify the Storage Class Name from the Local Storage Operator when you activate the environment for the CDW service in Step 4 below. For more information about creating a local file system on OpenShift worker nodes using the Local Storage Operator, see Persistent storage using local volumes in the OpenShift documentation.
- In the CDW service, expand the Environments column by clicking the More… menu on the left side of the page.
- In the Environments column, locate the environment that you want to activate.
- When you locate the environment, click the activation icon to launch the Activation Settings dialog box.
In the Activation Settings dialog box, specify
the Storage Class Name from Local Storage Operator:
This is the Storage Class Name you specified when you created the local file system for caching as described in the above section Before you begin. It is the location where temporary data is stored.
- After specifying the Storage Class Name, click Activate.