Generating an API access key
A CDP user account (a user or a machine user) must have API access credentials to access CDP services.
When you use this method to generate an access key and then manually configure the access key in the ~/.cdp/credentials, the access credentials are permanent until they are removed from the ~/.cdp/credentials file. If you prefer that the API access key is shorter-lived, refer to the topic Logging into the CDP CLI/SDK, which describes a method of logging into the CLI/SDK through any SAML-compliant identity provider.
Required roles: Users who have the
IAMUser role can generate an access key
from their own account page. As a CDP Private Cloud administrator or
PowerUser, you can generate an access key for a user account that does
not have the
- create-user-access-key: for generating access key for users
- create-machine-user-access-key: for generating access key for machine users
To generate an API access key using the Management Console:
- Sign in to the CDP console.
- Click on your user name in the bottom left corner and then select Profile.
- On the user profile page that appears, click Generate Access Key.
On the Generate Access Key pop-up window, click
Generate Access Key.
CDP creates the key and displays the information on the screen.
Copy the access key and private key to a text file and send it to the CDP user who
The private key is a very long string of characters. Make sure that you copy the full string. You can optionally download the credentials file containing the access key information by clicking Download Credentials File.
- Click Close to exit the access key window.