Configuring alert rules
You can define alert rules for your CDP Private Cloud Data Services deployment based on PromQL expressions. The alerts are automatically triggered when specific events occur in your deployment. You can view the triggered alerts on the Management Console dashboard. Further, any alert receivers that you have already configured start sending notifications to specified endpoints.
- Built-in alert rules are system-generated, and therefore, you cannot add or remove them. You can only enable, disable, or edit certain details associated with them.
- You can create custom alert rules based on your requirements. Further, you can edit, delete, enable, or disable them.
- Sign in to the CDP console.
- Click Management Console.
- On the Management Console home page, select Administration>Alerts to view the Alerts page.
- In the Alert Rules section of the page, click Add Alert Rule.
Configure the following options for adding an alert rule in the pop-up
Field Description Name The name of the alert rule.
You cannot use spaces or special characters in the name.
Severity The severity of the alert rules to configure. You can select rules of severity Critical or Warning. Enable Alert Select this checkbox to ensure that the alert rule is enabled at the time of creation. Message The text of the alert rule. You can use PromQL labels to denote entities such as jobs in the text.
For more information about using PromQL labels, see Alerting Rules.
Summary Overview text of the alert rule. For Clause The duration for which the PromQL expression must be true. If the expression continues to be true after the specified duration, then the configured alert is automatically triggered. Source The Management Console services for which you want to configure the alert rules.You can select one of the following options as the source:
- All Environments and Control Plane
- Control Plane
- A specific environment from the list of configured environments
Workload Type For a selected source, the type of workload to which the alert rule applies. You can select workloads of type Data Warehouse, Machine Learning, Infrastructure, or all these types. PromQL Expression The query expression in PromQL. The alert is issued when this expression is true for the time period specified in For Clause. Generated Query The query that is generated for a selected workload type depending on the specified PromQL expression.
You can view the query by clicking Show Generated Query.
Test PromQL Expression You can click this option to test the query expression generated for the combination of a selected source and workload type.
If you select one of All Environments and Control Plane, Environments, or Control Plane as the source for the PromQL query, it runs only on the control plane. To run the query on an environment, you must select a specific environment as the source.
Click Add Alert Rule.
The page now displays the details of the alert rule that you just added.
- Optional: Repeat steps 4 and 5 to add more alert rules.