Connecting Hive to BI tools using a JDBC/ODBC driver
To query, analyze, and visualize data stored within the CDP Data Center using drivers provided by Cloudera, you connect Apache Hive to Business Intelligence (BI) tools.
- Choose a Hive authorization model.
- Configure authenticated users for querying Hive through JDBC or ODBC driver. For example, set up a Ranger policy.
- Download the JDBC or ODBC driver from the Cloudera Downloads page.
Depending on the type of driver you obtain, proceed as follows:
- ODBC driver: follow instructions on the ODBC driver download site, and skip the rest of the steps in this procedure.
- JDBC driver: put the driver in the classpath of your JDBC client, such as Tableau. For example, check the client documentation about where to put the driver.
Find the JDBC URL for HiveServer using one of a number methods. For example:
- In a CDP Data Warehouse, from the options menu of your Virtual Warehouse,
Copy JDBC URL.
- In Cloudera Manager (CM), click
beeline-site.xml, and copy the value of
beeline.hs2.jdbc.url.HIVE_ON_TEZ-1. This value is the JDBC URL. For example
click Actions, and select Download Client Configuration. Open
- In a CDP Data Warehouse, from the options menu of your Virtual Warehouse, click
In the BI tool, such as Tableau, configure the JDBC connection using the JDBC URL
and driver class name,