YARN enables you to manage resources and schedule jobs in Hadoop.
YARN provides the following features:
- You can use multiple open-source and proprietary data access engines for batch, interactive, and real-time access to the same dataset. Multi-tenant data processing improves an enterprise’s return on its Hadoop investments.
- Cluster utilization
- You can dynamically allocate cluster resources to improve resource utilization.
- Multiple resource types
- You can use multiple resource types such as memory, CPU, and GPU.
- Significantly improved data center processing power. YARN’s ResourceManager focuses exclusively on scheduling and keeps pace as clusters expand to thousands of nodes managing petabytes of data.
- MapReduce applications developed for Hadoop 1 runs on YARN without any disruption to existing processes. YARN maintains API compatability with the previous stable release of Hadoop.