Migrate brokers by modifying broker IDs in meta.properties
Learn how to migrate brokers between hosts in a Kafka cluster by modifying broker IDs
In case of catastrophic hardware failure brokers can be moved to a new host in a Kafka cluster. The following steps walk you through broker migration by modifying broker IDs in
meta.properties. Compared to migration with the help of the
kafka-reassign-partitionstool, this method involves less manual work, but requires modifying an internal configuration file.
- Verify that the cluster is healthy.
- Verify that all replicas are in sync.
- Start up the new broker as a member of the old cluster.
This creates files in the data directory.
- Stop both the new broker and the old broker that it is replacing.
broker.idof the new broker to the
broker.idof the old one both in Cloudera Manager and in
- Optional: Run
rsyncto copy files from one broker to another.
- Start up the new broker. When started the new broker re-replicates data from the other nodes.