Use preemptible instances
The "Use Preemptible Instances" option, available for each host group, allows you to use preemptible instances for all VMs on a given host group.
The option to use preemptible instances on GCP is available on the Hardware and Storage page of the create cluster wizard. To use this option:
- In create cluster wizard, navigate to the Hardware and Storage page.
- For each host group, check the Use Preemptible Instances option to use Google Cloud preemptive VM instances as your cluster nodes.
- We recommend not using preemptible instances for any host group that includes Ambari server components.
- If you choose to use preemptible instances for a given host group when creating your cluster, any nodes that you add to that host group (during cluster creation or later) will be using preemptible instances.
- If you decide not to use preemptible instances when creating your cluster, any nodes that you add to your host group (during cluster creation or later) will be using standard on-demand instances.
- Once someone outbids you, the preemptible instances are taken away, removing the nodes from the cluster.
- If the preemptible instances are not available right away, creating a cluster will take longer than usual.
To learn more, refer to Google Cloud Platform documentation.