Known issues in Cruise Control
Learn about the known issues in Cruise Control, the impact or changes to the functionality, and the workaround.
- Rebalancing with Cruise Control does not work due to the metric reporter failing to report the CPU usage metric
- On the Kafka broker, the Cruise control metric reporter plugin may
fail to report the CPU usage metric.If the CPU usage metric is not reported, the numValidWindows in Cruise Control will be 0 and proposal generation as well as partition rebalancing will not work. If this issue is present, the following message will be included in the Kafka logs:
WARN com.linkedin.kafka.cruisecontrol.metricsreporter.CruiseControlMetricsReporter: [CruiseControlMetricsReporterRunner]: Failed reporting CPU util.
java.io.IOException: Java Virtual Machine recent CPU usage is not available.This issue is only known to affect Kafka broker hosts that have the following specifications:
- CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz
- OS: Linux 4.18.5-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 24 11:35:05 EDT 2018 x86_64
- Java version: 8-18
- Move the broker to a different machine where the CPU is different. This can be done by moving the host to a different cluster. For more information, see the Moving a Host Between Clusters.