Overview of the expedited Hive upgrade
You perform tasks before and after the Hive migration to hasten the upgrade. The sequence of steps involved in expediting the Hive upgrade includes identifying problems in tables and databases before upgrading, configuring the Hive Strict Managed Migration (HSMM) to prevent migration, and completing the upgrade. After the upgrade to CDP, you migrate the tables and databases.
- Prepare tables for migration, identifying potential migration problems using the Hive Upgrade Check tool.
- Decide to expedite the upgrade by not migrating your databases and tables during the upgrade.
- Upgrade Cloudera Manager, and then start to upgrade your cluster.
- In the upgrade wizard, after adding the Hive-on-Tez service, temporarily leave the upgrade wizard.
- Configure HSMM to prevent migration of your databases and tables.
- Return to the upgrade wizard and continue upgrading your cluster.
None of your databases or tables are migrated to CDP.
If you did not migrate your Hive data, do so after the upgrade to CDP as follows:
- Prepare tables for migration, identifying and fixing potential migration problems using the Hive Upgrade Check tool.
- Create a list of databases and tables to migrate.
- Migrate tables and databases to CDP.
You cannot use unmigrated tables in CDP.