Back Up the Cloudera Manager Databases
During the upgrade, Cloudera Manager modifies the schema of the Cloudera Manager database. In case of failures during the upgrade, it may be necessary to rollback to the previous version of Cloudera Manager while addressing the upgrade failures.
When performing a rollback to a previous version, the Cloudera Manager Database must be restored to the previous database schema. For this reason, you must do the Cloudera Manager database backup, so that it can be restored if a rollback is necessary.
- Back up the Cloudera Manager server database as per the instructions provided in your respective database documentation on how to backup and restore the databases.
- Back up All other Cloudera Manager databases - Use the database information that
you collected in a previous step. You may
need to contact your database administrator to obtain the passwords.These databases can include the following:
- Cloudera Manager Server - Contains all the information about services you have configured and their role assignments, all configuration history, commands, users, and running processes. This relatively small database (< 100 MB) is the most important to back up.
- Oozie Server - Contains Oozie workflow, coordinator, and bundle data. Can grow very large. (Only available when installing CDH 5 or CDH 6 clusters.)
- Sqoop Server - Contains entities such as the connector, driver, links and jobs. Relatively small. (Only available when installing CDH 5 or CDH 6 clusters.)
- Reports Manager - Tracks disk utilization and processing activities over time. Medium-sized.
- Hive Metastore Server - Contains Hive metadata. Relatively small.
- Hue Server - Contains user account information, job submissions, and Hive queries. Relatively small.
- Sentry Server - Contains authorization metadata. Relatively small.
- Cloudera Navigator Audit Server - Contains auditing information. In large clusters, this database can grow large.(Only available when installing CDH 5 or CDH 6 clusters.)
- Cloudera Navigator Metadata Server - Contains authorization, policies, and audit report metadata. Relatively small.(Only available when installing CDH 5 or CDH 6 clusters.)
- DAS PostgreSQL server - Contains Hive and Tez event logs and DAG information. Can grow very large.
- Ranger Admin - Contains administrative information such as Ranger users, groups, and access policies. Medium-sized.
- Streaming Components:
- Schema Registry - Contains the schemas and their metadata, all the versions and branches. You can use either MySQL, Postgres, or Oracle.
- Streams Messaging Manager Server - Contains Kafka metadata, stores metrics, and alert definitions. Relatively small.
For more information about the number of databases that should be backed up, and restored if necessary, see Required Databases.