Deploying Data Visualization in CDW
Learn how to create a Cloudera Data Visualization (CDV) instance in the Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) data service and how to start the CDV application. You can use CDV with CDW either in CDP Public Cloud or with the CDP Private Cloud Data Service to explore the data stored in the database catalogs and use visualization to communicate insights across the whole data lifecycle.
If you want to create visuals based data stored in CDW, you have to create a CDV instance and connect it to Hive or Impala Virtual Warehouse(s).
- You are logged into the CDP web interface and you have opened the Data Warehouse service
- You have DWAdmin role in CDW
- You have activated your environment
- You have a Hive/Impala warehouse in running state
- If you are using CDV in CDW Private Cloud: You have an admin group created in Sync Groups on Login option from , so that the associated groups can be imported when you log in to CDV. . To log in using LDAP, select the
In Cloudera Data Warehouse, click Data Visualization in the left
A list of existing Data Visualization instances appears, if there are any.
Click ADD NEW to create a new instance.
If you are creating the first Data Visualization instance in CDW, click CREATE.
Provide the following information in the New Data Visualization
Mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk.
- Name* – Specify a name for the instance.
- Environments* – Select the environment that you want CDV to be connected to.
- User Groups – Add user groups to allow user access to Data Visualization for selected groups. If no group is added, all CDP users will have non-admin access.
Admin Groups* – Add admin groups to allow configuration
access to Data Visualization for selected groups.
For more information on Data Visualization permission granularity, see the Security model.
Tagging – Enter keys and values to apply tags to your
resources for organizing them into a taxonomy.
- Size* – Select the size of the compute instance from the drop-down menu.
Instance creation starts. Wait until the CDV instance is in running state.
You can find the list of Data Visualization instances and environments appears under
the Data Visualization menu that you can open from the left
Select one from the list of running CDV instances and click to start
Alternatively, you can click the launch/options menu (three dots) at the end of the row and click Open Data Visualization in the pop-up menu.
SSO authentication is enabled by default both in Public Cloud and Private Cloud. If you are logged in to the Control Plane, you will be logged into Cloudera Data Visualization automatically. If not, log into the Control Plane using your LDAP credentials. Data Visualization opens in a new browser tab and you land on the Data Visualization homepage, where you can explore sample dashboards and access the in-tool Get Started guide for help.
New users logging in to Cloudera Data Visualization are automatically added to the viz_guest_group group. You can assign the System Admin role to this group to grant new users the permission to create new connections. For more information, see Assigning roles to users.