Creating a Data Visualization instance in CDW
Learn how to create a Cloudera Data Visualization (CDV) instance in the Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) data service. You can use CDV with CDW either in the CDP Public Cloud or with the CDP Private Cloud Data Service to explore the data stored in the database catalogs and communicate insights across the whole data lifecycle by using visual objects.
If you want to visualize your data, you have to create a Data Visualization instance and connect it to Hive or Impala Virtual Warehouse(s) to be able to create visuals. Data Visualization is not tied to a particular Virtual Warehouse (VW). You can access data for your visualization from multiple Data Catalogs using multiple Hive or Impala Virtual Warehouses and multiple environments. With multiple Data Visualization instances attached to an environment, you can connect to different data sets, create dashboards for different groups and share them with different users. When you delete a Virtual Warehouse, your visual artifacts remain intact as long as the CDV instance is not deleted.
- You are logged into the CDP web interface and you have opened the Data Warehouse service
- You have DWAdmin role in CDW
- You have activated your environment
- You have a Hive/Impala warehouse in running state
- If you are using CDV in CDW Private Cloud: You have an admin group created in Sync Groups on Login option from , so that the associated groups can be imported when you log in to CDV. . To log in using LDAP, select the
In Cloudera Data Warehouse, click Data Visualization in the left
A list of existing Data Visualization instances appears, if there are any.
Click ADD NEW to create a new instance.
If you are creating the first Data Visualization instance in CDW, click CREATE.
Provide the following information in the New Data Visualization
Mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk.
- Name* – Specify a name for the instance.
- Environments* – Select the environment that you want CDV to be connected to.
- User Groups – Add user groups to allow user access to Data Visualization for selected groups. If no group is added, all CDP users will have non-admin access.
Admin Groups* – Add admin groups to allow configuration
access to Data Visualization for selected groups.
For more information on Data Visualization permission granularity, see the Security model.
Tagging – Enter keys and values to apply tags to your
resources for organizing them into a taxonomy.
- Size* – Select the size of the compute instance from the drop-down menu.
Instance creation starts. Wait until the CDV instance is in running state.