Vertically scaling instance types
If necessary, you can select a larger or smaller instance type for a Data Hub or Data Lake cluster after it has been deployed.
If you are using an instance without ephemeral disks, you can scale up or down to a new instance with ephemeral disks; however, the reverse is not supported. You cannot start with an instance with ephemeral disks and move to an instance without ephemeral disks.
Vertical scaling is supported on AWS only. EBS-backed instances must be stopped before scaling. See Change the instance type in AWS documentation for more information.
For information on vertically scaling FreeIPA, see Vertically scale FreeIPA instances.
- In the CDP main navigation menu, click Data Hubs or Data Lakes and select the cluster that requires a larger instance type.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Nodes tab.
- Click the Vertical Scaling icon on the top right of the host
group that you want to scale.
- Select a larger instance type from the drop-down menu of suggested instance
- Click Scale. You can monitor the action from the
Event History tab. Alternatively, you can use the CDP CLI to select a new instance for the Data Lake or Data Hub cluster:
Data Lake cluster:
cdp datalake start-datalake-vertical-scaling --datalake <your-data-lake-name-or-its-crn> --group <master> --instance-template instanceType="<m5.4xlarge>"
Data Hub cluster:
cdp datahub start-cluster-vertical-scaling --datahub <your-data-hub-name-or-its-crn> --group <master> --instance-template instanceType="<m5.4xlarge>"