Hive Server 2 metadata collection
Atlas can collect metadata from Hive Server 2, including queries and the data assets the queries affect.
An Atlas hook runs in each Hive Server 2 instance. This hook sends metadata to Atlas for both Hive operations and Hive data assets. Operations are represented by process and process execution entities in Atlas. Hive databases, tables, views, and columns are represented by entities in Atlas. When a Hive operation involves files, the metadata for the file system and files are represented in Atlas as file system paths.
- When an action occurs in the Hive Server 2 instance...
- The corresponding Atlas hook collects information for the action into metadata entities.
- The hook publishes the metadata on a Kafka topic.
- Atlas reads the message from the topic and determines what information will create new entities and what information updates existing entities.
- Atlas creates and updates the appropriate entities and determines lineage from existing entities to the new entities.
The Atlas bridge for HBase pulls the same metadata as the hook, but instead of sending the metadata through Kafka, it passes message in bulk in an API call. The bridge creates entities in Atlas for all of the existing HBase namespaces, tables, columns, and column families.