Data Analytics Studio (DAS) helps you to perform operations on Hive tables and provides recommendations to optimize the performance of your queries.
- Query optimization recommendation
- Table optimization recommendation
- Read and write report
- Join report
To upgrade from DAS-Lite to DAS, see Upgrading Data Analytics Studio.
DAS and DAS-Lite have the same release versions. However, the binaries for DAS and DAS-Lite are different for a given version. Make sure that you download the appropriate binary before starting the installation.
Administrators can perform operations such as managing the databases.
You can perform the following operations using DAS:
- Search queries: You can search for queries executed on Hive tables in a database.
You can further refine your search results using filters. Data Analytics Studio provides
recommendations to optimize the performance of your queries on Hive tables. You can view the
recommendations and edit your queries.NoteThe query optimization recommendations are not provided in the DAS-Lite version.
- Compose and execute queries: You can compose queries using the intuitive query composer. It has context based auto-complete to help editing a query faster. You can also view the visual explain of the query after executing it. You can save queries to view them later and edit them. You can edit the existing, saved queries and then save them as new queries. When you try to edit a query, you can use the query composer to easily create and execute your queries.
- Compare queries: You can compare two queries to know how each query is performing in terms of speed and cost effectiveness. DAS compares various aspects of the two queries, based on which you can identify what changed between the execution of those two queries, and you can also debug performance-related issues between different runs of the same query.
- Manage databases: Using the Database Explorer, you can manage existing databases by creating new tables, editing existing tables, and deleting tables. You can also create new database and add tables to it. You can manage existing tables by editing them to modify existing columns or add new columns. You can create new tables in DAS or upload existing tables available in CSV, JSON, and XML formats. You can edit columns in tables and also view suggestions for partitions and implement these recommendations.
- View reports: You can view which columns and tables are used for joins and make
changes to the data layout to optimize the performance of the query with different search
criteria.NoteThe view reports feature is not available in the DAS-Lite version.