Connecting Apache Hive to BI tools
To query, analyze, and visualize data stored within the Hortonworks Data Platform using drivers provided by Hortonworks, you connect Hive to Business Intelligence (BI) tools.
- You chose a Hive authorization model.
- You configured authenticated users for querying Hive through JDBC or ODBC driver by setting value of the hive.server2.enable.doAs configuration property in the hive.site.xml file.
- Locate the Apache Hive JDBC driver or download the ODBC driver.
Depending on the type of driver you obtain, proceed as follows:
- If you use the Simba ODBC driver, follow instructions on the ODBC driver download site, and skip the rest of the steps in this procedure.
- If you use a Apache Hive JDBC driver, specify the basic JDBC connection string as described in the following steps.
- In Ambari, select Services > Hive .
In Summary, copy the JDBC URL for HiveServer: Click the clipboard icon.
- Send the JDBC connection string to the BI tool, such as Tableau.