Preparations for tuning performance
Before you tune Apache Hive, you should follow best practices. These guidelines include how you configure the cluster, store data, and write queries.
- Set up your cluster to use Apache Tez or the Hive on Tez execution engine.
In HDP 3.x, the MapReduce execution engine is replaced by Tez.
- Disable user impersonation by setting
Run as end userto false in Ambari, which is equivalent to setting
LLAP caches data for multiple queries and this capability does not support user impersonation.
- Add the Ranger security service to your cluster and dependent services.
- Set up LLAP to run interactive queries.
- Store data using the ORC File format.
- Ensure that queries are fully vectorized by examining explain plans.
- Use the SmartSense tool to detect common system misconfigurations.