REVOKE Statement (CDH 5.2 or higher only)
The REVOKE statement revokes roles or privileges on a specified object from groups.
REVOKE ROLE role_name FROM GROUP group_name REVOKE [GRANT OPTION FOR] privilege ON object_type object_name FROM [ROLE] role_name privilege ::= ALL | CREATE | INSERT | REFRESH | SELECT | SELECT(column_name) object_type ::= SERVER | URI | DATABASE | TABLE
See GRANT Statement (CDH 5.2 or higher only) for the required privileges and the scope for SQL operations.
The ALL privilege is a distinct privilege and not a union of all other privileges. Revoking SELECT, INSERT, etc. from a role that only has the ALL privilege has no effect. To reduce the privileges of that role you must REVOKE ALL and GRANT the desired privileges.
You cannot revoke a privilege granted with the WITH GRANT OPTION. If a privilege is granted with the WITH GRANT OPTION, first revoke the grant option, and then revoke the privilege.
GRANT ALL ON SERVER TO ROLE foo_role; ... REVOKE GRANT OPTION FOR ALL ON SERVER FROM ROLE foo_role; REVOKE ALL ON SERVER FROM ROLE foo_role;
Typically, the object name is an identifier. For URIs, it is a string literal.
The ability to grant or revoke SELECT privilege on specific columns is available in CDH 5.5 / Impala 2.3 and higher. See Hive SQL Syntax for Use with Sentry for details. for details.
Only administrative users (those with ALL privileges on the server, defined in the Sentry policy file) can use this statement.
Only Sentry administrative users can revoke the role from a group.
- The Impala REVOKE statement is available in CDH 5.2 / Impala 2.0 and higher.
- In CDH 5.1 / Impala 1.4 and higher, Impala makes use of any roles and privileges specified by the GRANT and REVOKE statements in Hive, when your system is configured to use the Sentry service instead of the file-based policy mechanism.
- The Impala REVOKE statements do not require the ROLE keyword to be repeated before each role name, unlike the equivalent Hive statements.
- Currently, each Impala GRANT or REVOKE statement can only grant or revoke a single privilege to or from a single role.
Cancellation: Cannot be cancelled.
HDFS permissions: This statement does not touch any HDFS files or directories, therefore no HDFS permissions are required.
- Only users with the ALL privilege on SERVER can create external Kudu tables.
- The ALL privileges on SERVER is required to specify the kudu.master_addresses property in the CREATE TABLE statements for managed tables as well as external tables.
- Access to Kudu tables is enforced at the table level and at the column level.
- The SELECT- and INSERT-specific permissions are supported.
- The DELETE, UPDATE, and UPSERT operations require the ALL privilege.