Configuring Encrypted HDFS Data Transport
Minimum Required Role: Full Administrator
Using Cloudera Manager
To enable encryption of data transfered between DataNodes and clients, and among DataNodes, proceed as follows:
- Enable Hadoop security using Kerberos.
- Select the HDFS service.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Expand the Service-Wide category and click the Security subcategory. Configure the following properties:
Property Description Enable Data Transfer Encryption Check this field to enable wire encryption. Data Transfer Encryption Algorithm Optionally configure the algorithm used to encrypt data. Hadoop RPC Protection Select privacy.
- Click Save Changes.
- Restart the HDFS service.
Using the Command Line
To enable encrypted data transport using the command line, proceed as follows:
- Enable the Hadoop Security using Kerberos, following these instructions.
- Set the optional RPC encryption by setting hadoop.rpc.protection to "privacy" in the core-site.xml file in both client and server configurations.
- Set dfs.encrypt.data.transfer to true in the hdfs-site.xml file on all server systems.
- Restart all daemons.