Upgrading CDP Private Cloud Data Services
You can upgrade your existing CDP Private Cloud Data Services 1.5.0 or 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 without performing an uninstall. After the upgrade is complete, you may need to upgrade the underlying OpenShift Container Platform. See the Software Support Matrix for OpenShift for more information about supported OCP versions.
- Review the Software Support Matrix for OpenShift.
As of CDP Private Cloud Data Services 1.5.1, external Control Plane metadata databases are no longer supported. If you are upgrading from CDP Private Cloud Data Services 1.5.0 to 1.5.2, and you were previously using an external Control Plane database, you must run the following
psqlcommands to create the required databases. You should also ensure that the two new databases are owned by the common database users known by the control plane.
CREATE DATABASE db-cadence; CREATE DATABASE db-cadence-visibility;
- If you are upgrading from CDP Private Cloud Data Services 1.5.0 to 1.5.2, and you were previously using an external Control Plane database, you must regenerate the DB certificate with SAN before upgrading to CDP Private Cloud Data Services 1.5.2. For more information, see Pre-upgrade - Regenerate external DB cert as SAN (if applicable).
- Make a backup of the OpenShift routes before upgrading to 1.5.2.
Ensure that you have the following before you upgrade:
Ensure that the kubeconfig has permissions to create Kubernetes namespaces.
Back up all of the external databases used by CDP Private Cloud Data Services.
One or more environments registered in CDP Private Cloud Data Services.
One of the registered environment has one or more Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) or Cloudera Machine Learning (CML) experience workspaces.
A Kubeconfig file for the OCP cluster.
Access to the Cloudera Private Cloud repositories (archive.cloudera.com).
Administrator access to OCP and Privileged access to your external Vault.
In Cloudera Manager, navigate to CDP Private Cloud Data Services
and click . Click
On the Getting Started page, you can select the Install
method - Air Gapped or Internet
Internet install method
Air Gapped install method
On the Collect Information page, upload a
Kubernetes configuration (kubeconfig) file from your
existing environment. You can obtain this file from your OpenShift Container
Platform administrator. Click Continue.
On the Update Progress page, you can see the progress of
your upgrade. Click Continue.
After the upgrade is complete, the Summary page appears.
You can now Launch CDP Private Cloud from here.
Or you can navigate to the CDP Private Cloud Data Services page and click Open CDP Private Cloud Data Services.CDP Private Cloud Data Services opens up in a new window.
- After upgrade, the Cloudera Manager admin role may be missing the Host
Administrators privilege in an upgraded cluster. The cluster administrator
should run the following command to manually add this privilege to the
ipa role-add-privilege <cmadminrole> --privileges="Host Administrators"
- If you need to restore the control plane on a CDP Private Cloud Data Services1.5.1 OpenShift cluster using a 1.5.0 backup, contact Cloudera Customer Support.