Known Issues in Hue
Learn about the known issues in Hue, the impact or changes to the functionality, and the workaround.
- Downloading Impala query results containing special characters in CSV format fails with ASCII codec error
- In CDP, Hue is compatible with Python 2.7.x, but the Tablib library for Hue has been upgraded from 0.10.x to 0.14.x, which is generally used with the Python 3 release. If you try to download Impala query results having special characters in the result set in a CSV format, then the download may fail with the ASCII unicode decode error.
- To fix this issue, downgrade the Tablib library to
- SSH into the Hue server host.
- Change directory to the
- Back up the hue directory:
cp -R hue hue_orginal
- Change to the
- Install the Wheel package using pip:
./build/env/bin/pip install wheel
The Wheel package is used to avoid recompiling your software during every install.
- Install the Python Setuptools package for Hue as follows:
./build/env/bin/pip install setuptools==44.1.0
- Install Tablib version 0.12.1 as follows:
./build/env/bin/pip install tablib==0.12.1
- Go to Cloudera Manager and restart the Hue service.
- Impala SELECT table query fails with UTF-8 codec error
- Hue cannot handle columns containing non-UTF8 data. As a result,
you may see the following error while queying tables from the Impala editor in Hue:
'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x91 in position 6: invalid start byte.
- To resolve this issue, contact Cloudera Support to apply the following software patch: ENGESC-3457.
- Hue Importer is not supported in the Data Engineering template
- When you create a Data Hub cluster using the Data Engineering template, the Importer application is not supported in Hue.
- Hue Load Balancer role fails to start after upgrade to Cloudera Runtime 7 or you get the "BalancerMember worker hostname too long" error
- You may see the following error message while starting the Hue
BalancerMember worker hostname (xxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx.xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx.example.site) too long.Or, the Hue load balancer role fails to start after the upgrade, which prevents the Hue service from starting. If this failure occurs during cluster creation, cluster creation fails with the following error:
com.sequenceiq.cloudbreak.cm.ClouderaManagerOperationFailedException: Cluster template install failed: [Command [Start], with id  failed: Failed to start role., Command [Start], with id  failed: Failed to start role., Command [Start], with id  failed: Failed to start role.] Unable to generate configuration for HUE_SERVER Role failed to start due to error com.cloudera.cmf.service.config.ConfigGenException: Unable to generate config file hue.ini
Cloudera Manager displays this error when you create a Data Hub cluster using the Data Engineering template and the Hue Load Balancer worker node name has exceeded 64 characters. In a CDP Public Cloud deployment, the system automatically generates the Load Balancer worker node name through AWS or Azure.
For example, if you specify
cdp-123456-scaleclusteras the cluster name, CDP creates
cdp-123456-scalecluster-master2.repro-aw.a123-4a5b.example.siteas the worker node name.
- Specify a shorter cluster name while creating a Data Hub cluster so
that the final worker node name does not cross 64 characters.
- Importing and exporting Oozie workflows across clusters and between different CDH versions is not supported
- You can export Oozie workflows, schedules, and bundles from Hue and import them only within the same cluster. It is not recommended to use the import-export feature to migrate data between clusters. To migrate data between different versions of CDH, for example from CDH 5 to CDP 7, you must migrate the database and add it to the newly created cluster.