ODBC sign-on walkthrough
To answer business intelligence questions, you need to see how to sign into CDW and query Hive or Impala.
- You started a Virtual Warehouse.
- The CDW cluster is connected to Apache Knox.
Setting up Tableau
In your Tableau Server desktop, on the General table, from the
Connection options (HiveServer2 and Impala), select HiveServer2.
In your Tableau Server desktop, in Server, paste the name of the HiveServer
host from the JDBC URL you copied.
Select Port 443, and in Authentication, select the authentication type
Username and Password.
In Username, type the word
tokenliterally, not your user name.
- In Passcode, paste the passcode token from the token generation operation you performed earlier.
- In Transport, select the HTTP transport mode.
- Click Sign In.
Querying a Hive table from Tableau
Go back to the Tableau Server desktop, select the option to use the
default schema of Hive in CDW.
- Load a table called movies, for example.
Query the table. selecting all the movies, for example.
The token you generated to connect Tableau to the Virtual Warehouse cannot be used to connect Tableau to any other cluster or Virtual Warehouse.