Connecting Hive to BI tools using a JDBC/ODBC driver
To query, analyze, and visualize data stored within the Hortonworks Data Platform using drivers provided by Hortonworks, you connect Apache Hive to Business Intelligence (BI) tools.
- You chose a Hive authorization model.
- You configured authenticated users for querying Hive through JDBC or ODBC driver by setting value of the hive.server2.enable.doAs configuration property in the hive.site.xml file.
- Locate the JDBC driver or download the ODBC driver.
Depending on the type of driver you obtain, proceed as follows:
- If you use an ODBC driver, follow instructions on the ODBC driver download site, and skip the rest of the steps in this procedure.
- If you use a JDBC driver, specify the basic JDBC connection string as described in the following steps.
- In Ambari, select .
Copy the JDBC URL for HiveServer: Click the clipboard icon.
- Send the JDBC connection string to the BI tool, such as Tableau.