Downloading Impala diagnostic bundles from AWS
Learn how to download diagnostic bundles to use for troubleshooting an Impala Virtual Warehouse in Cloudera Data Warehouse (CDW) Public Cloud.
To troubleshoot issues with your Impala Virtual Warehouses, download diagnostic bundles of log files for the sidecar containers that support Impala components and for the components themselves. These diagnostic bundles, in the form of ZIP files, are stored in your public cloud account. This capability is available on AWS environments only.
Required role: DWAdmin
Before you can download log files, you must, of course, run workloads on your Impala Virtual Warehouse to generate the logs.
- Log in to the CDP web interface and navigate to the CDW service.
- In the CDW service, click Overview in the left navigation panel, and select an Impala Virtual Warehouse.
In the Impala Virtual Warehouse tile, click the more options
menu, and select Collect Diagnostic Bundle.
Set options that select which logs to generate for the diagnostic bundle.
- By Time Range: Select a specific time range of log files to generate from the drop-down list, or you can choose a custom interval in the next option.
- By Custom Time Interval: Select the start and end time from the drop-down list to define the specific time interval for the log files in the diagnostic bundle.
- Collect For: Remove any of the available categories of log
files by clicking the adjacent X:
- Workload contains the log files for the Impala
components, such as
catalogd, coordinator, auto-scaler, and Hue frontend and backend logs. See Impala Logs.
- Profile contains log files for Impala Query Profiles. See Understanding Performance Using Query Profiles.
- Minidump contains the breakpad minidump log files. See Using Breakpad Minidumps for Crash Reporting.
- Sidecar contains the logs for the sidecar containers that support Impala components.
- HMS contains sidecar container logs that support the metastore.
- Workload contains the log files for the Impala components, such as
Click Collect to generate the bundle.
After some time, depending on your cluster size and log sizes, but typically after 10 seconds, a message indicating completion appears indicating the diagnostic bundle is generated:
Collection of Diagnostic Bundle for impala-mpvt initiated. Please go to details page for more information.
- To navigate to the Virtual Warehouse details page, click Virtual Warehouses in the left navigation menu, and select the name of the Virtual Warehouse for which you just generated the diagnostic bundle.
In the details page for that Virtual Warehouse, click the DIAGNOSTIC
BUNDLE tab, and then click the copy-to-clipboard icon to copy the S3
bucket path to the diagnostic bundle:
Paste the S3 bucket location path in a text document and use it to navigate to the
location in your Amazon S3 management console to download the ZIP file.
When you expand the diagnostic bundle ZIP file that you downloaded from S3, there are four directories containing log files and a
diagnostic-data-generator.logfile, which contains troubleshooting information.