US zipcode map with bubbles
In CDP Data Visualization Map visuals, you can plot measurements based on zipcode data. Bubble maps display up to two measurements simultaneously: as the color of the bubble, and as the relative size of the bubble.
A zip code map of the United States shows a comparison of measurement values across US
States. Zipcode maps only work with bubble options. The Income Tax Returns dataset is
used in this example, which is built on the
tax_returns.csv datafile that
contains statistical information about Personal Income Tax Returns for 2016
zip_tax_returns_2016.csv), summarized by zipcode.
Start a new visual based on the Income Tax Returns dataset.
For instructions, see Creating a visual.
In the VISUALS menu, find and click
The shelves of the visual changed. They are now Geo, Color, Size, Drill, Tooltips, X Trellis, Y Trellis, and Filters. The only mandatory shelf for map visuals is Geo.
Populate the shelves from the available fields (Dimensions and
Measures) in the DATA menu.
Zipcodeand add it to the Geo shelf.The field is automatically accepted as a Geo Type.
Apply the display format for integers, removing the 1000s separator.
For instructions, see Integer display format.
- In the DATA menu, enter the term 'schf' in the Search box, and add the field to the Size shelf.
- Alias the field as Farm Returns.
Stateand add it to the Filters shelf. When the Filter for State window modal appears, select the South Atlantic region states under the Values tab: DC (District of Columbia), DE (Delaware), FL (Florida), GA (Georgia), MD (Maryland), NC (North Carolina), SC (South Carolina), VA (Virginia), and WV (West Virginia). Click Apply.
- Adjust the size range of the marks to 1-3, as described in Changing the mark size range.
- Optional: Change the color palette or simple reverse it, as described in Change color palette visuals and Reverse color palette visuals.
- Optional: Enable panning and zooming option, as described in Customizing zoom.
Click REFRESH VISUAL.
The map visual appears. You can adjust the size and focus of the visual to show the area of interest.
Click the pencil/edit icon next to the title of the
visualization to enter a name for the visual.
In this example, the title is changed to 'Income Tax Returns - Zipcode'. You can also add a brief description of the visual as a subtitle below the title of the visualization.
- At the top left corner of the Dashboard Designer, click SAVE.