Creating filters to control variable measures
- In the dashboard, click the Filters tab.
Click Create Custom Filter.
- This creates a New Filter in the filter area of the application, and opens the Settings window modal for that filter.
In the Settings modal window, switch to
Values tab, and enter the following:
- Under Title, enter Population Type.
Under Output Parameter, enter agg.
Note that this is the parameter from Creating visuals with variable measures.
Under Specified values, enter the following two rows:
sum(tot_pop), Label: Total Population
sum(tot_male), Label: Total Male Population
sum(tot_female), Label: Total Female Population
Note that these are the original field names in the source table.
- Switch to Display Settings tab, and select the options Allow only one item to be selected at a time.
- Click Apply.
- Save the dashboard.
- Switch to dashboard View mode.
In the Population Type filter, select Total Female
Note that the title of the graph and the vertical axis changed to include
To check the parameters of the dashboard, hover the pointer over the Filter icon at the top right corner. They are
agg: sum(tot_female), agg.alias: Total Female Populationand
dim: Stname. You can scroll down to see the dim.alias: Stateparameter.
Notice that you can operate the two filters, Dimension Level and Population Type, independently.
You can also navigate between the permutations of filter outputs you create by using filter navigation controls at the top right corner.