Specifying geographic fields
In CDP Data Visualization, you can explicitly specify a dataset field as one of the many supported geographical types.
In this example we use the dataset Canadian Census,
constructed from example datasets.
and joined of the fields
The following steps demonstrate how to assign Geo Types to a dataset field. We are using
the two fields from the join of the Canadian Census dataset:
Postal Code from
- Navigate to the dataset that you must modify. In this example, we are using the Canadian Census dataset.
- In the Dataset Detail menu, select Fields.
- In the Fields interface, select Edit
- To specify that the field is a Geo Type, In Edit
mode, click the (down) icon on the right side of the field, and
select the Edit Fields option.
- In the Edit Field Parameters window modal, under
Geo Type, select the appropriate option from the menu, and click
Fsa, we also changed the Display Name to
Postal Codein the example.
- Repeat for the
Postal Codefield of the table
ca_postal_codes, and click Apply.
- Repeat with the
Provincefield of the table
ca_postal_codes, changing the Geo Type to
State/Province. Click Apply.
- [Optional] Apply the Geo type to the fields that represent Latitude and Longitude, if they are not named appropriately.
- Under Dataset: Canadian Census, click Save.
The dataset can now be successfully used for map and interactive map visuals, without further adjustments at the level of the visual.